Developed in the 1740s creamware was one of the standardStaffordshire products during Josiah Spode’s early training and partnerships. It was still popular when he established his own factory in 1776. Plain creamwares would have been of modest price, but printed and painted decoration offered more sophisticated and more expensive products. To produce a more porcelain-like finish, after about 1775 potters began to add a small amount of cobalt blue to the glaze and china-glaze or pearlware was added to the standard factory repertoire.
more on Spode's creamware and pearlware